Tuesday, December 29th, 2015
Your wedding should be one of the biggest and best days of your life, and capturing as much of the day, through photographs or on film, means you can relive your special day over and over for years to come. This is why it’s so important to make sure you choose a wedding photographer who understands your needs, and who will make sure those magic moments are captured whilst you can get on with enjoying your day.
Having worked photographing weddings for over five years, in and around Northamptonshire, I’ve put together some tips for you on how to choose the best wedding photographer.
1. Look at, or ask to see, the wedding photographer’s previous work. Keep an eye open for the photography style you’d like to see in your photographs. You should expect to see a variety of high quality photos, in differing styles, if you don’t like what you see, the photographer might not be for you. I typically try to show a variety of the work I’ve done, so brides and grooms can get a good taster of what I can do for them, and what the finished product will be.
2. Ask for previous bride and groom reviews. In this digital age, through social media or even on websites, you should be able to see what previous brides and grooms have to say about the photographer at hand. If there is nothing for you to see as such, ask for details of people who have used the wedding photographer, who are willing to be contacted, so you can ask them what they thought of the service. I’m always more than happy to put prospective brides and grooms in touch with people who have worked with me before, plus I have photos of weddings that I’ve taken on my website, for everyone to see.
3. Meet your wedding photographer. This is so important – as you really need to know you can get on with this person, especially as they are going to be up close and personal, and playing such a big part in your special day, you need to be sure you both get on, and not just that, but that they’ll get on with your wedding guests too!
4. Do your own wedding photography research, and by this I don’t mean look into what lighting will work best, or what lens to use, instead it’s good to know roughly what you want – in terms of pictures of family and friends at your day, when you want your wedding photographer present (e.g. through the service, meal, speeches, first dance etc), and the style of photographs you think best suits you and your partner. Doing this means when you meet with your photographer you’ve got a good grounding, then the wedding photographer should be able to help you expand on your ideas, or suggest other good shots based on what you’ve already said, they’ll also then have a good idea of what you want to achieve and should be able to deliver exactly what you need.
5. Make sure the final wedding photography package includes everything you want. Wedding photographers offer various packages, some include albums, some include a selection of the shots taken, others include a limited number of shots and some even include an engagement shoot, either way, know what you want and don’t be swayed! For example, these days there are lots of online services that allow you to create your own wedding album, so you may not want to pay extra for your wedding photographer to do this for you, that said, you may know this is the kind of thing you’d never get around to doing, or you may like the idea of a professionally designed wedding album with your wedding photographs showcased at their best, so you may definitely need that to be part of your wedding photography package. I know all of my brides and grooms want or need something different and I’ll always do my best to accommodate their requests. If you do decide to give designing your own wedding album a go, then I’m more than happy to give my recommendations on high street suppliers so the quality of your images is not affected.
If you’re looking for a wedding photographer, and your wedding is based in Kettering, Desborough, Market Harborough or in the Northamptonshire area, please do get in touch. I’d love to meet you to show you what I could do for you, and would love to talk through your wedding photography ideas. You can find my contact details here. If you’d like to find out more about my wedding photography service, you can read more here.